Tuesday, March 31, 2009

This Is Home

Hello again.  Well, I have some good news and some bad news.  The bad news is that I recently found out that although my AFA application has been complete since the end of February, it now says I have to send in my college transcripts, which I had already sent.  The good news is that I have to send them in because the Academy will need them right before I enter with my class in June.  Yes, that's right...I have been offered an appointment to the United States Air Force Academy, class of 2013.  I was/am pretty psyched.  I learned the news pretty much the same way I told you.

On Saturday, March 21st, I received a phone call from my ALO.  I was in our basement at the time with a bunch of friends who had slept over.  My Nana (mom's mom) was there as well. Because our cell's get bad reception in the basement, I went upstair to talk.  He set me up in the same way: asked how I was, who was there, made sure my parents were home, and then told me I would have to send my transcripts in again. I had to send them in again in order to inprocess with my class.  I couldn't believe it.  I knew about many applicants who had already gotten appointments, and thought that I probably hadn't gotten in.  I was never so glad to be wrong. 

My ALO had gotten word from our congressman, my nominating source.  He said the letter had been sent the previous Wednesday. After thanking him and hanging up, my parents (who had been watching/listening the whole time, and Dad took my picture mid-knowledge) promptly told me that they had known since Thursday. Thursday! But they had decided to wait for the official letter so that the could see my reaction.  So they kept waiting and waiting for the good news, letting me wait for what I though could be bad news.  When it still hadn't come on that Saturday, they called my ALO and asked him to call and tell me, so that they could still watch.  'Twas my Nana's idea.  Very tricksy, they were. :)

So, of course I immediately went downstairs and told everyone the news.  I think I actually jumped up and down a bit.  :) They were happy for me, and gave me hugs/high-fives.  I love my friends/family...:)

Obviously, this makes things a whole lot more real.  Or so it seemed to me.  Now I really am going to be leaving in June.  That's...hard to grasp.  Home is all I've known for the past 18 years, except for  brief periods of time.  And at those times I knew I would always be coming back.  Now, I'll be 23 when I graduate, at which time I'll have 5 years of active duty to serve.  Things will never be the same.  I know that, and I knew it when I applied.  I'm just having to actually accept it now. Whenever I think of it I think of the words to the song "This is Home" by Switchfoot:

"I've got my memories
They're always inside of me
But I can't go back
Back to how it was."


That can be very odd to think about. And...scary.  So...I'm dealing with it.

One thing I usually say when people ask me if I'm excited about going is "Yes, I'm excited.  Although, I want to go to the Academy...I don't want to leave home." And that's about the jist of my feelings on leaving.

Now...my thoughts on going have gone through a myriad of different levels.  Sometimes I'm excited about it; there are so many different opportunities I will have, friends I will make, and ways in which I will grow.  It will be a huge challenge, but I think I'm partly excited about that.  That's also the part I'm nervous about.  It will be so different completely different from anything I've ever done before, and I know it will be the hardest thing I've ever faced.  A lot of times the different way of life makes me nervous, even scares me.  Other times it excites me. 

One of the main things that concerns me is how will I react to that new situation, to BCT (Basic Cadet Training).  And I kind of have a plan as to how get through it the best way possible. One, I'm going to be praying my butt off. Two, to remind myself daily of why I want to be there, and of all the different things I did to get in.  Three...remember to rely on those around me, and ask for help from my fellow basics when I need it.  Four, I plan to (or at least try) to accept that it will be different, and not make any presumptions, but to take things as they come, deal with everything one step at a time, try to like the changes. 

So that's my plan, and that's about it for this blog post.  I wanted to update everyone on the end of one journey, and the start of a whole other Beast (which is a nickname for Basic).  I'll try to write again at least once more before I go.  April 27-28th I'll be attending Appointee Orientation with my parents.  I'm really looking forward to that because it will be my first time to see the Academy, and I'll get to bunk with and shadow a cadet for a night/day.  Then, I'll leave on June 24th for Inprocessing Day, which will be the next day, the 25th.  That's when BCT starts, and I'll be in that for about 6 weeks. 

Until next time...
Rae - Candidate Appointee, USAFA Class of 2013




5 comments:

Anna said...

Man...Rae, Dude, so exciting! I'm definitely praying for you. So excited for you! Sad that I won't get to talk to you as much :( But excited for you! :D You're one tough chica. You can do it! Just remember, by God's strength :) Congrats again and Godspeed, lovey!

Fliggage!
Lilly

leo509 said...

Rae, that's so uber exciting!

Congrats on being accepted to the AFA. *applause* :D

What's an ALO?

Ha, yes, very tricksy indeed. :) I'm glad that your family is happy for you.

Leaving home can be a difficult thing. But just like our father Abraham, we all must eventually heed the call, Lech lecha, "go for you." (Gen 12:1) Go for yourself, from your country and your birthplace and your father's house. Go to the land that He will show you.

You are embarking on a great journey, Godspeed. :)

disciple-in-training said...

Thank you both so much! Yeah, it's definitely exciting.

An ALO is an Admission's Liaison Officer. He's the guys assigned to me from the Academy who helped me through the whole process. He's a Major in the AF Reserves, and currently flies for SouthWest Airlines. He's a really great guy.

Amen to you both...I'm so thankful I have friends like y'all.

Anna said...

You're welcome so much! =D

Hey, thanks, you're a great friend, too :) *hug*

Lilly

Symon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.