Friday, April 11, 2008

Hear ye, hear ye!

Well, I've been meaning to write about this for the last couple of days, but haven't taken the time. I have some now, or rather, I'm taking it. Anyway...

I'm (again) considering the military. Very seriously, actually. And not in general terms anymore. I want to attend the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I'm hoping to go as an English major. I really want to do this...a lot.

Mom suggested it first when I was talking of merely enlisting and going through Bootcamp. Ha, she did not appreciate that thought. Then I looked into it online, and I really liked what I saw. It looks very challenging, but also so...invigorating, enabling. I think it would be such an amazing opportunity, and a life defining experience. The problem is that the Air Force Academy is a very difficult school at which to be accepted. I'm pretty well qualified academically, but they also take into consideration sports and extra-curricular activities. Mine are a bit lacking. Also, for home schoolers they lean a lot on SAT/ACT scores. Now my verbal score was fine. But my math one was below the average score of an attendee, although above average normally. There is a fitness assessment I would have to take as well, but I'm not too concerned with it, because I can prepare for it this summer. However, my SAT score and lack of sports has me a tad worried as to how much they'll hurt my chance of appointment. Besides that, I will have to obtain a recommendation from a member of congress, or the vice president. Yeah, they have some pretty hefty requirements.

So, I'm thinking about all these things right now. They are always in the back of mind, like unanswered questions. I think I would excel at the Academy if given the chance. But I'm not sure I'll ever have the chance to find out. Plus, a big concern is whether or not this is apart of God's plan for me. It's something I have to ask Him about, and then trust that He knows best. Man, it's a very hard thing to place in His hands. I'm not sure if my heart is ready to do that yet. So I'm asking that He soften it.

For now I'm going to be contacting the Northeast Admissions office and begin the application process. It will take awhile, and I'm too late to apply for this year, so I'll be applying for the Class of 2013, and begin (if accepted) in June 2009. This coming fall I'll most likely attend the local community college at which I'm currently enrolled, and continue to prepare physically.

Many times I feel awkward when I tell people I'm interested in the military. Although most don't say so, I always imagine that they're asking "why" in their heads. So I want to answer that here. Not for others, necessarily, but for myself. So that I can organize my thoughts on paper (or hard drive ;) ). Perhaps then they won't be bouncing around in my head.

Why the military? My first response to that is "why not?" But that is a rather flippant answer, in reality my "whys" go much deeper. No, I don't enjoy hurting or killing things/people. Neither do I relish the thought of being barked at day by day, or having to prove myself constantly. But there is a lot more to the armed forces than violence and humiliation. There is also adventure, bravery, structure, challenge, excitement, discipline, honor, order, and respect. In addiction, there's brotherhood and camaraderie, being apart of something huge and enduring. Protecting our country. Honoring and respecting those who have gone before us. So many parts of the military, and the US Air Force Academy in particular, fascinate me. And I won't lie and say that the adventure, honor, and glory don't present a strong attraction. I don't kid myself either. I know the process to obtaining an appointment won't be a walk in the park, and I understand the commitment I would have to make. But I accept it. I'm willing to make those sacrifices. I want to serve my country. I want to gain the discipline, skills, and maturity that would be instilled in me at the Academy. At the moment there is nothing I want more than that, besides bing in God's will. Hmmn. Perhaps that's not the most organized way I could have put it, but I believe I did answer the "why military" answer for myself.

Well, that's it. I hope to keep this updated. I'm not sure how that will go. Until next time, Rachel.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Wow! That really is a great thing to consider! Yet a tough idea to make a final descion on.

Praying for G-d to soften your heart towards His will, and may His will be done,
Lilly

leo509 said...

Great post. Make His will your will, so that He may make your will His.

I look forward to your updates. :)

Anna said...

I demand an update! :P ;) Hehe...