Sunday, July 17, 2005

Chain Reaction

I just got back yesterday from a missions trip in my own town. We did stuff like prayer walking, random acts of kindness, and work projects. We also had great teaching and worship at night. Here's something I wrote earlier today as I was pondering the week:

Well, now Chain Reaction is over. Many people were saying how changed they were, like Malachi (a kid from my church). I know he changed, and others, but I'm not sure about myself. God did teach me some things, and revealed stuff to me, but how much did I really change? How does God want me to change?
One thing I heard Him saying was to stop trying to be other people. A lot of times when I see people or hear stories about people who I admire, I try to copy them. I feel like following God like they do. But He was telling me to be myself. "It is great that you want to grow deeping in my like others, but the only one you need to imitate is My Son." He said to live like Jesus, but to do it as yourself.
So I guess I did change in some ways. I'm a bit freer and deeper in Jesus. I think I'll be able to see people's needs more, and be more willing to help them. I feel a little more mature. One thing I know, I'll never get enough of God. There will always be more to learn, deeper to go, more to lose. I know I can always take a step closer to Him, because He will always catch me if I fall and hold my hand when I stumble.

So that's what I was thinking. And this is a song that has jumped out to me whenever I hear it. Then last week it was one they played during morning worship; that was awesome. Here it is.

"No Sacrifice" -Jason Upton

To you I give my life, not just the parts I want to
To you I sacrifice these dreams that I hold on to

Your thoughts are higher than mine
Your words are deeper than mine
Your love is stronger than mine
This is no sacrifice
Here's my life

To you I give the gifts
Your love has given me
How can I hoard the treasures that you've designed for free?

Because
Your thoughts are higher than mine
Your words are deeper than mine
Your love is staronger than mine
This is no sacrifice
Here's my life

To you I give my future
As long as it may last
To you I give my present
To you I give my past

Because
Your thoughts are higher than mine
Your words are deeper than mine
Your love is stronger than mine
Your thoughts are higher than mine
Your words are deeper than mine
Your love is stronger than mine
This is no sacrifice
Here's my life

9 comments:

CDL Gal 54 said...

right on rae! i'd definitely have to agree that it's easy to try to do things like other people do. i truly believe that God opened u up to some new things this week, so keep seeking His face. remember, i'm always here for u (to the best of my ability) and i love you! crack a look at my xanga k?

Ben (discipleofElyon) said...

I like that song. Malachi is deffinitely different. Well ttyl,
little bro ben.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rae,
What you wrote really encouraged me. I can fully relate with trying to mimic other's actions and beliefs when you really look up to them, God has been teaching me the same thing.
I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. I praise God for deepening your love and faith in Him.
Love you.

disciple-in-training said...

Hello friend, thanks for that kind note. I'm glad that what I wrote encouraged you. Isn't it wonderful how God teaches us things, and how He loves us? I mean, wow. Anyway, God Bless You very much, ~Rachel

Do you have a blogspot? Of course you don't have to respond if you don't want to. :)

disciple-in-training said...

Wait, I think I know who that was. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Jason said...

Sweet, I hope you had a good time, and I really hope that God did speak things to your heart. Well have a good day, and keep watching Homestar Runner.
-Jason

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
[ brooke ] said...

I often do that to, and I also have some things in my life that need to be changed. I'm glad He spoke to you and just be yourself! (:

jac-atac said...

Awesome song. Your post encouraged me. :)